How to make ★Japanese Apple Pie★あみあみアップルパイの作り方(EP22)
What makes an apple pie “Japanese” ?
I would say beautiful lattice and the taste of apple.
When I was a kid, I really wanted to be able to make this kind of beautiful pie! It was a-girl-Princess-Bamboo’s dream. Lol.
This type of apple pie was sold at high-end hotel pastry shop, at that time.
It was not daily sweet for us. That makes me wants more into the apple pie.
Maybe you are thinking that the apple pie is not Japanese things.
But we have so many tasty apples produce in Northern part of Japan, as you might already know.
We have good produce and skills to make sensitive finish of the pie.
Which apple to choose
We have a very nice apple to make a pie.
That is Kougyoku（紅玉）, which is tart and crisp and keep its shape well, similar to Grany Smith.
We can find apples any time of the year, but the Kougyoku（紅玉） is in season very limited of time.
I always make an apple pie in the highest season because it’s tasty and reasonable.
If you happen to be in Japan this time of year, just give it a try.
Any other tart and crisp apple like Grany Smith or Fuji would suit for this recipe.
What is Pie express?
The pie express is my favorite crust.
It takes less time than the usual pie pastry, but the result is pretty good.
The texture is flaky and light, goes well with apple filling.
Moreover, easy to eat!
Don’t you think eating the regular folded pie crust with folk is easy? I don’t think so.
This pie crust is cut easily with your folk, and you can have your nice bite!
Do not throw away the skin and seeds.
Boil skin and seeds to extract the pectin which is good for your gut.
Not only good for your health, it has a really nice aroma to make you relax.
The color is bright pink, your family and friends will surprise!
- container, bowl, oven, frying pan, 18cm / 7 inches metal pie dish
Pie Express (18cm / 7 inches metal pie dish)
- 150 g cold unsalted butter
- 10 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g cake flour
- 75 ml icy-cold water
Apple pie filling
- 3 apples
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 20 g heavy cream
- 60＋30 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbs calvados ※optional
- cake crumb
- whipping cream or ice cream to serve
- egg wash ( 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water)
- Put your cake flour into a container, mix in sugar and salt.Place your unsalted cold butter just taking out from the fridge on the flour.Slice the butter into 5mm in thickness with your bench scraper.Dust each slices with your flour.Cut into stick, and then chop into small dice.
- Sprinkle icy-cold water and toss to distribute evenly.Wrap in a piece of plastic and shape into a square.Press down to stick together.Let it rest in the fridge at least one hour.
- Roll out to 15×40cm, fold in 4.Chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Roll out to 15×40cm, fold in 3.Chill in the fridge for one hour.※you can freeze at this stage.
Apple pie filling
- Cut apples into 4 and remove the core.Cut each pieces into 3. Peel off the skin. Set aside.※Keep the skin for later use.
- Put 60g sugar and a tablespoon of water into a frying pan.Turn the heat to medium-high, cook until caramelized.※Darker the bitter.
- When the caramel turn into the color of your preference, add in room temperature butter and heavy cream. Shake the pan until evenly cooked.
- Add in prepared apple, cook until almost all of the liquid is gone.※the juice comes out at first and looks watery, but while cooking it will turn into thick syrup.
- Add in 30g sugar to adjust the sweetness. Cook until dissolve, then add in Calvados. ※optional
- Transfer to a bowl and chill.
Assemble (preheat the oven 200℃ before start assembling)
- Divide the pie express into 2.Roll out one dough to 4~5mm thick, 21 cm in diameter.Cut out the dough with 21 cm ring mold or cutting out by knife.Chill in the fridge
- Roll out the pie express into 20×28cm rectangle, 3mm thick.Chill until firm.Cut out ten to twelve 2 cm strips by using pizza cutter and wooden ruler.
- Cross the strips one another to create a lattice pattern. Cut out the center part with 15 cm ring mold.Chill until used.
- Place the 21 cm pie express on a parchment paper, prick with a folk all over the surface.Brush egg wash around the edges.
- Spread cake crumb or Panko bread crumb on the center to absorb the moisture.Place apple pie filling on top.
- Place lattice pie express right on top of the apple pie filling.Pull up the bottom and stick to the lattice.
- Put on 18cm ring mold. Brush egg wash all over the surface.Pop it in the oven for 40 to 45 mins or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or room temperature with slightly sweet whipping cream.