How to make AGEDASHI DOFU (TOFU)｜Deep-fried Tofu serve with Savory Dashi Broth (EP272)
What is AGEDASHI DOFU(TOFU)
Today, I’m going to be making, AGEDASHI DOFU(TOFU).
(TOFU is pronounced DOFU when it comes after certain word.)
It’s deep-fried Tofu serve with tasty Dashi broth.
What makes this dish special is Dashi broth.
The crust soaks up Umami and make so delicious!
This is a request from my dearest subscribers, I hope you like it!
The outsiede is crispy, so soft on the inside.
The aroma from Katsuobushi is so comforting.
Part of the crust became soggy with the dashi, but that’s the best part!
Tofu itself tastes mild, so basically you can cook it in any style you want.
Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
AGEDASHI DOFU (TOFU)
- frying pan, bamboo mesh tray, tray,
- 300 g firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- oil for frying
- 1 cup Dashi
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 3 to 4 tbsp "Daikon Oroshi" Grated Daikon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Mitsuba leaves
- Cut your firm tofu into 1-inch slices.Lined them on the bamboo tray and put a plate on it.Place a wait over it and leave it until the excess moisture is removed for about 20 mins.The weight should not be too heavy, it’s twice as much as the tofu weight.
- Pat dry the pressed Tofu and remove moisture from the surface.Dust with potato starch.Leave a while and the surface becomes wet, then dust again. Dust twice to make a thicker layer of the crust, and then it's going to avoid splashing in hot oil. When you deep-frying, the potato starch crust should be moistened. That makes crust really crispy.
- Heat the oil up to high, 180°C (356℉） and deep fry the Tofu for about 5 to 6 minutes or until crispy to touch.
Savory Dashi Broth
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, and put in Katsuobushi, and boil for about 7 to 8 minutes.Discard Katsuobushi, and transfer a cup of the Dashi into another small pot.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of mirin and light soy sauce.If you don’t have light soy sauce, you can use a less amount of regular soy sauce and add just a pinch of salt to make it light in color, or we say golden color Dashi.Bring it to a boil to evaporate the alcohol, set aside until used.
- 〈Daikon Oroshi〉Grate the daikon raddish.It is known as "Daikon Oroshi," a traditional condiment to reflesh the palate.It balances out the richness and lightness.And it contains digestive enzymes that will improve your digestive system.〈Ginger〉Grate a small amount of fresh ginger.〈Mitsuba leaves〉Cut into 1-inch length.
- Transfer the deep-fried Tofu in a shallow dish and topped with Daikon Oroshi and grated ginger. Ladle over the generous amount of tasty Dashi broth.Sprinkle Mitsuba to add a refreshing aroma.You’re Agedashi Tofu is done!