HOW TO MAKE ★SHIRA-AE★ JAPANESE MASHED TOFU SALAD (EP180)
Today, we are making, Sira-ae, Mushed Tofu salad.
It’s a traditional side dish served with the main course.
It’s a little bit involving but so delicious and nutritious, and really healthy.
We need something healthy while we’re gaining weight at the situation! Lol.
Hijiki is one of the most popular seaweed in Japan, after Kombu, wakame and Nori.
It is eaten simmered rather than soup.
Hijiki contains iron, calcium, magnesium and fiber. So nutritious and good for your health.
Especially good for women expecting a baby.
Shira-ae is not a fancy dish, and it involves a little bit, but worth trying.
It’s one of the Shojin Ryori of Buddhist temple.
You can use other vegetables you have on your hand, like spinach, edamame or mushrooms.
Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
Shira-Ae Japanese mashed tofu salad
- 100 g blanched Nanohana ( rape-blossom)※broccoli rabe, broccoli, spinach can be used
- ⅓ carrot
- 2 tbs Hijiki seaweed
- 150 g Firm Tofu
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 tbs Mentsuyu ※1/2 tbs soy sauce 1/2 tbs dashi
- 1 ts sugar
- 2 tbs sesame paste
- ・HijikiSoak Hijiki seaweed in water for 10 mins to rehydrate.Cook rehydrated Hijiki with 1/3 cup of dashi and a pinch of salt.Cook until dashi evaporated.・carrotcut the carrot into julienne.Add in 1/3 cup of dashi, I am using dried shiitake dashi.Add in a pinch of salt and cook until soft but still have some crunch on it.Take out onto a try and set aside.・TofuMicrowave the tofu 1 mins on 800w or until heated through.Break into chunks, and let it drip off the excess moisture.
- Cook sesame seeds until fragrant.Transfer to a mortar and grind with a pestle.Grind until half done.If you don't have mortar and pestle, do like this.Place a tablespoon of sesame seed between kitchen paper, and cut it like this.It takes a little bit more time, but it tastes much better!Add in sugar, sesame paste and Mentsuyu.Mix to combine.You can use a whisk instead!Add in Tofu, and pound until well combined.
- Squeeze out the moisture from the Nanohana.※If you don't do it, the moisture comes out and dilutes tofu paste and it's no good.Add in carrot and Hijiki, and mix well.