Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie | Thanksgiving Pie Recipe
Today I want to share with you, My gluten-free, vegan pumpkin pie recipe.
I have so many requests for vegan or gluten-free recipes through all of my media.
I’m not sure which vegan recipe is good
I think you are constantly seeking trustworthy delicious vegan pie recipes on the internet.
I’m not sure which vegan recipe is good; some recipes call for special ingredients that are not affordable for daily use. And I don’t want to use any vegan binders that are not found in an ordinary household.
So I made it with rice flour and a little bit of almond flour to make it tastier.
I think I nailed it!
This pie is for everyone who wants a Thanksgiving-worthy pie.
Tips and tricks to bake a perfect vegan pie
There are some tips and tricks to make a good gluten-free vegan pie.
Because it doesn’t contain gluten, the dough is not perfectly binding together.
The tips are:
1) Work quickly by using plastic wrap to keep its shape.
2)Pre-cook the filling instead of pre-bake the crust.
Usually, I pre-bake the pie crust, but I didn’t do that because it is so fragile.
But I don’t like my pie under-baked.
What am I going to do?
Instead of pre-baking the bottom crust, I cooked the filling to reduce the excess moisture.
It worked so well!
Contrast the filling against the crisp crust is so good!
Serve this to all of your guests this Thanksgiving and become the hit of the party.
How to serve
After taking it out from the oven, cool to room temperature and chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
Preferably overnight to set the filling.
It is fragile so do not take the whole pie out from the plate.
Cut into the desired size inside the pie plate.
Serve with powdered sugar, vegan whipped cream or ice cream!
Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- food processor, bowl, pan, oven, 15cm (6-inch) pie plate
Gluten-free Vegan pie crust
- 100 g plain rice flour
- 20 g almond flour (whatever called but powered almond )
- 20 g corn starch
- 20 g sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 60 g soy butter or coconut oil
- 2~3 tbsp icy cold water
Pumpkin pie filling
- 300 g pumpkin puree
- 30 g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ tsp ginger
- ⅕ tsp nutmeg
- 10 g corn starch
Gluten-free Vegan pie crust
- Place dry ingredients in a food processor, pulse to mix evenly.
- Add soy butter (or chilled coconut oil) cut into cubes. Pulse until the butter cut into small pieces, look like panko.
- Add icy water a tablespoon at a time, pulse to moisten the ingredients.
- When you squeeze it, if it barely holds its shape, stop adding the water. ※if you add too much water, it doesn't make crispy crust.
- Wrap in a piece of plastic. Shape into a square. Set aside.※You don't have to chill the dough with rice flour, because it's more manegrable at room temperature. But if your room temperature is high, keep in the fridge.
Pumpkin pie filing
- Microwave pumpkin until soft. It takes about 6 mins on 800w.
- Keep the seeds and pulp. Put it in a strainer to collect the puree (almost like juice, though.) Take off the skin from pumpkin flesh.
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor, process until it makes a smooth paste.
- Pour it into a pot, cook on medium heat stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture boil and thicken. Let it cool in an ice bath, while preparing the crust.
- Before assembling, preheat the oven to 190℃ (374°F).
- Divide the crust into ⅔ and ⅓.
- The ⅔ crust will be on the bottom crust.Put the crust on a piece of plastic wrap, then cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll the crust out from the outside of the wrap. Roll it out to fit the bottom, 3mm in thickness.
- Prick with a falk to help releasing the steam while baking.
- The ⅓ crust will be on the top crust.Roll out the crust into 20×25 cm (8×10 inches) rectangle. Cut into 2cm strips.
- Pour pumpkin filling.
- Place top crust criss-cross, on top of each other.It is very fragile, be careful with handling. Press the edges with folk all around to stick each other.
- Pop it in the oven for 35 to 45 mins until golden brown.
- Cool completely, then chill in the fridge at least a couple of hours. Preferably overnight.
- Do not take it out from the pie plate. Cut into desired size still in the plate and serve.