★How to cook Perfect Rice★White Rice VS Brown rice ~KPB Basic #1~(EP139)
Today, I’m going to show you how to cook perfect rice in a rice cooker, a pot, and a pressure cooker.
Rice is a staple Japanese food, we eat everyday.
When I say rice, it always means Japanese short-grain rice.
Cooking perfect rice is No1 priority in Japanese Kitchen. Sometimes too wet, sometimes too firm, even if you cook everyday. And some people like al-dente, some people like soft.
Everybody has own taste.
We usually eat white rice, because it’s delicious and digestible, goes well with main course, just like white bread.
On the other hand, brown rice is not quite easy to digest, just like whole wheat bread. But actually, it is nutritious and keeps you long.
Let me walk you through step by step, how to cook perfect rice.
Here are the useful metrics to cook Japanese short grain rice.
How to cook Perfect Rice
- pot, pressure cooker, rice cooker
Rice cooker method
- 3 cups Japanese short grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups Japanese short grain rice
- 2 tbs multi-grains
- 2＋2/5 cups water
Pressure Cooker method
- 3 cups organic brown rice
- 3¼ cups water
- a pinch of salt
Rice Cooker method
- ※Choose freshly-polished rice from the mill. You can check the date on the package.Put it in a rice rinsing bowl or medium-size bowl. Pour cold water and swish your hand quickly and pour out cloudy water immediately as much as you can.※The rice is really dry at this point, tends to soak up the cloudy water which makes rice taste starchy and unpleasant.Swish your hand and scrub the rice gently. Pour in the water and rinse out the cloudy water. Repeat the process once again and drain. ※Keep the water to water your trees or pre-boiling the daikon radish.Transfer to the rice cooker bowl. Add water up to 3 cups line, as I said, we like al-dente rice, I added to just below the line.If you like normal rice, add to the 3-cups-line, if you like the soft, add water to a little bit over the line.My rice cooker has several courses to creates the texture you like. I usually choose the "quick" course taking 27 mins. Today I choose "Mocchiri" which means bouncy texture, the course takes 46 mins. I don't really know the difference between the courses. Choose what ever courses you like!
- Rinse your rice as we did earlier.Add multi-grain, if you have. You can add any grain you have on your hand, like quinoa, wild rice etc. (Or simply replace with rice.)Pour water and start cooking on medium without a lid, bring it to a boil. Stir to even the rice and water. Reduce the heat to very low, and simmer 10 mins with the lid.You don't want to open the lid, otherwise, your rice is going to undercooked. After exactly 10 mins, turn off the heat and let it stand for 10 mins.There you have a healthier version of white rice. Nutty and rich-in-flavor-rice is done!
Pressure Cooker method
- I cook in a pressure cooker especially designed for cooking brown rice. Rinse quickly, as we did for the white rice. Then, srcrub vigorously with your hand. The bran is tough, so we must scratch the surface to cook evenly.Rinse under running cold water until the water runs clear.Transfer to the pressure cooker, pour water and a pinch of salt.Start cooking on the medium heat. After 10 mins, it should start boiling and the weight begins whistling. Lower the heat to low, cook 25 to 30 mins. Let it stand until the pressure is released.Serve with vegan food like tofu and vegetable dish like the previous video, It is the best way to enjoy the earthy flavor.My pressure cooker is designed for brown rice but you can use any pressure cooker. Read your instruction to use propery.