HOW TO MAKE ★CHOUX CREAM★ CREAM PUFF～シュークリームの作り方～
Today, I will show you how to make Cream puff in Japanese“Choux cream” . This is one of the most popular pastry in Japan. Thin airy choux pastry filled with a lot of vanilla pastry cream. Everybody loves it!
HOW TO MAKE ★CHOUX CREAM★ CREAM PUFF
- heavy bottom pot
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g cake flour
- 100 ml whole milk
- 100 ml water
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 120 g cake flour
- 1 ts salt
- 4 large eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- 25 g bread flour
- 25 g corn starch
- 500 ml whole milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ts vanilla paste or vanilla essence
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 300 g pastry cream
- 150 g heavy cream
- Cream room temperature butter. Add sugar and mix well.Add in shifted flour, mix to combine.
- Wrap in a piece of plastic and shape into a cylinder, 3mm in diameter.Keep in a freezer until used.
- Preheat the oven 200℃ (400℉)
- Bring water, milk, salt and butter to a rolling boil.Turn off the heat and add in shifted flour.Stir vigorously, until it forms a dough.※The high temperature of the liquid gelatinize the flour at the maximum.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, cook the dough to evaporate excess moisture. Cook until dry film forms at the bottom of the pot. "Dry film" indicates the excess moisture evaporated. ※If the dough contains excess moisture, we can't add eggs to expand the dough.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Transfer the dough into a medium-size bowl. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of egg and stir to combine.It's not easy to stir at first, because the dough is so slippery. Take your time to mix throughly. ※Watch my video how.
- When you finish adding the eggs, drop the choux pastry to check the consistency.If the dough forms a thin triangle, it's perfect.If not, add a little bit more egg.※It depends on the consistency of your choux pastry.
- Set 1.2cm round tip to piping bag,Transfer the half amount of choux pastry to easy handling.
- Pipe the choux pastry on the baking tray 5cm semi-sphere in diameter.※Or Eclair shape.Slice the cookie crust into 5mm thick and place on top of the choux pastry.
- Bake 15 mins at 200℃, 30 mins at 170℃.
- Whisk egg yolks and half the amount of sugar until pale.Add in bread flour, corn starch and vanilla, whisk to combine.
- Bring milk and the rest of the sugar to just before boiling.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of hot milk mixture to egg mixture.Whisk to combine.Repeat 2 more times.When you add the half of the milk mixture, get the egg mixture back to the pot.※ In this way, your custard mixture keeps the temperature high and you can save the cooking time.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, cook until boiling stirring constantly.When it reached the boiling, cook another 1 mins to remove the floury taste.
- Add in butter and stir to combine. Transfer to a boil. Cover a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of custard cream. Put it on an ice bath and chill completely.
- Whisk heavy cream soft peaks form.
- Pass 300g custard cream a sieve.
- Combine custard cream and whipped cream in 3 stages.Transfer to a piping bag, 8mm round tip attached or disposable bag.
- ・classic styleCut off the top 1/3 of choux pastry.Pipe a generous amount of custard cream. ・cookie crustFind a dent on the side and stick in the piping bag.Pipe generous amount of custard cream.