How to make ★Fluffy Japanese Pancake★(EP39)
Today I am going to be making fluffy Japanese pancake.
What makes pancake “Japanese”?
It’s almost like eating a cloud.
Whenever I make the pancake, I feel like I am in heaven.
The key to successful fluffy pancake is, making a stiff meringue.
Then, fold your meringue into the batter quickly without deflating by using a whisk.
Some people asked me why I use a whisk instead of a spatula.
Here is the reason why.
If you use a spatula, it takes more time to fold your meringue into the batter. There is going to be more chance to deflate the meringue by the motion of scoop the mixture up and fold, again and again.
On the other hand, a whisk cut the meringue into pieces and distribute it evenly in the mixture without deflating.
In any case, do not overmix. Otherwise, your pancake turns out flat!
Good luck on your pancake!
Fluffy Japanese Pancake
- Electric griddle or non stick pan, bowl, hand-mixer
- 1 tbs sugar (1 heaping tablespoon, 20g)
- 2 egg white (70g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp sugar (5g)
- 2 tbs whole milk (20g)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil ( neutral flavor ) (10g)
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour (30g)
- ⅓ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- a dash of vanilla paste or essence
whipped honey butter
- 2 tbs room temperature butter
- 1 tbs good quality honey
- Preheat the electric griddle to 140℃ .Whisk room temperature butter and honey well.
- Whisk egg yolk and sugar well until pale. Add milk and vegetable oil in 2 to 3 stages, whisk well each time.
- Shift together the flour and baking powder.Whisk well until sticky.Add in vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk egg white on low until start making form.Add sugar in 2 stages. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the speed to high, whisk until stiff peak forms.
- Add a scoop of meringue into the batter.Whisk until well combine.The first scoop of meringue is called "sacrifice meringue."It makes easier and faster the mixing process.
- Add the rest of the meringue in 2 stages and mix until just combine with a whisk.
- Switch to spatula, fold the mixture a few times to make sure it's mixed thoroughly.
- Grease the surface of the electric griddle, and ladle the mixture.Cover with the lid, cook 3 mins.
- Flip, cook 3 mins. on the other side.
- When you touch the center of the pancake and it's bounce back, it's OK to go!
- Take out onto a dish, serve immediately with whipped honey butter and warm maple syrup.