How to make ★Mentsuyu★Concentrated Dashi Stock★めんつゆの作り方（EP1)
Let’s make “Mentsuyu” at home!
“Mentsuyu” literally means “noodle soup”, but I would translate it as “Concentrated Dashi.”
It’s the most versatile Japanese seasoning, can be use for so many dishes.
You can make Tamagoyaki, Japanese style salad, Soba noodle soup, and many more.
You can find Mentsuyu at grocery store, but almost all of it contains MSG. If you can find it, it cost you 3 to 4 times more money. I don’t want that.
Instead of buying expensive Mentsuyu, I make my own.
It’s easy and tastier than the high-end Mentsuyu.
I recommend to have it in your fridge!
- 100 ml light soy sauce
- 300 ml Sake
- 400 ml Mirin
- 35 g Katsuobushi
- 4 pieces Dried Shiitake musurooms
- 1 piece Kombu kelp (10g)
- 60 g salt
- Combine all the ingredients except salt in a pot, let it steep at least 6 hours to overnight
- Cook on very low heat, gently simmer for 20 mins wihout boiling.Turn the heat off and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pass through a seive and add salt.Cook on low and stir to dissolve the salt.
- Transfer to bottle, keep in a fridge. It will well keep up to 3~4 months.
- Pour 2 cups of water to left over ingredients and boil for 5 to 6 mins. It's called "Nibandashi" , second Dashi, and you can use it for any dishes.