Takikomi GOHAN | Japanese Seasoned Rice cooked with various ingredients | Traditional Recipe
What is Takikomi GOHAN?
Takikomi GOHAN is a rice dish cooked with various ingredients, seasoned with aromatic Dashi and soy sauce.
This is one of the basic dishes you need to learn if you want to become a great home chef.
I, myself, have been struggling to make delicious Takikomi GOHAN for a really long time.
But I finally nailed it despite many failures!
I want to deliver you the golden ratio for Takikomi GOHAN!
We make this rice dish throughout the year, but exceptionally good with newly harvested rice.
I don’t think there is a big difference between newly harvested rice and a-year-old rice in terms of taste, but I feel a slightly different texture. New rice has a distinct texture in that each grain has a touch to the tooth, so we chew more than usual. That causes we can taste rice’s natural sweetness more than usual.
The ingredients cooked with rice are up to you!
My favorite is root vegetables like “Gobo” burdock root. I can’t leave this out.
And never ever forget to add dried shiitake mushrooms! It adds unique deep Umami and aroma.
The ingredients in this recipe are quite traditional and authentic.
You can find this combination anywhere in Japan.
But I think these are a bit overwhelming for people living outside Japan.
Here are the other ingredients combinations.
Chicken and Gobo
Multi kinds of mushrooms
Edamame and Salmon
Or you can go with single ingredient
Dried Shiitake mushroom
Find your favorite by experimenting!
- 1 Donabe pot
- 3 rice cup short grain rice Rice cup= 180 ml
- 500~600 g in totall boneless-skinless chicken thigh, Aburaage, Gobo (burdock root), carrot, dried shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoot, konjac,
- Mitsuba leaves for topping
- 3 tbsp soy sauce preferably light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Mirin
- 3 tbsp Sake
- 450 ml water ＋shiitake water
- Rice: Wash and Drain. Soak in water for at least 30 mins.
- Gobo: Wash away dirt. Shave like sharpening pencil. Reliease in water.
- Carrot: cut into 3 to 4 cm match sticks.
- Konjac: cut into 3 to 4 cm match sticks. Pour over boiling water to remove unpleasant smell.
- Aburaage: cut into 3 to 4 cm match sticks. Pour over boiling water to remove the fat.
- Bamboo shoot: Slice into small pieces
- Chicken: Remove fat and cut into dice. Season with 1 teaspoon soy sauce and sake. (optional)
- Combine water, shiitake water, soy sauce, mirin, sake. Liquid amount to 600ml in total.
- Transfer drained rice, pour over liquid. Layer prepared ingredients on top.
- Start cooking on medium-low heat. Cook for 25 mins. ※It should start boiling 12 to 15 mins after start cooking. Reduce heat to low, cook for 10 to 12 mins after boiling.
- Turn off the heat, open the lid and fluff the rice. Cover it again and let it steam for 10 mins. And it's good to go!