How to make Temari Sushi〜Bite-size sushi balls〜
Temarizushi is bite-size ball-shaped sushi.
Temarizushi is usually cooked on happy occasions like becoming an elementary school student in Japan.
Let’s learn how to make colorful Temari sushi.
Temari is a traditional Japanese embroidered ball, which people used to play within Japan.
These days, Temari balls are treated more as decorative ornaments in the house rather than a children’s toy.
Temarizushi consists of parts: sushi rice and the top part with the ingredients of your choice.
If you like sashimi (raw fish), and if you can access it, use it!
Sashimi fish like salmon, tuna, Tai (sea bream) are the authentic ingredients to make great Temarizushi.
If you are not a fan of raw fish, use boiled shrimp, smoked salmon, crab sticks, eggs or tuna from your pantry.
If you are vegetarian or vegan, you can make Temari sushi with your favorite vegetables or pickles.
They can be grilled/roasted first (so they are tender), or use fresh vegetables as well.
Whether you use fish or not, you can always top with colorful ingredients to make it more colorful.
- rice cooker(or heavy bottom pot), frying pan
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup−1tbs water
- 3 tbs sushi vinegar
- ¼ ts salt
- 1 ts potato starch
- 1 ts water
- 100 g Sashimi salmon
- 100 g Takuwan
- 100 g shrimp
- ¼ cup frozen Edamame
- 1 can small can of tuna
- Rinse and clean 1 cups of rice, pour in the same amount of water, then remove 1 tbs water to cook firmer rice than usual.We are adding sushi vinegar afterward, so we add less water to cook rice.If we add the same ratio of water, as usual, the Sushi rice ends up soggy.
- When your rice is done, scoop out to a bowl.Sprinkle sushi vinegar, mix until evenly distriuted.Cover with a paper towel, and set aside until used.
- ・shirmpsTo devein, stick the toothpick into the second joint from the tail. Then, carefully take out the toothpick.The vain comes out like this.Devein all those shrimp then rinse thoroughly.Put them in a small pot, add in a tbs of sake.Cover and cook on medium heat until shrimp start turning red. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- ・Thin omelets.Beat your egg, and add a quarter teaspoon of salt.Add in potato starch solution and mix.Potato starch makes a firmer thin omelet that won't be break easily.Pass through a seive to make nice even thin omelet.You can skip this process if you don't want it.You can make 3 thin omelet.
- ・CucumberThis is the easiest one.Use your peeler to have thin strips.Keep the leftover to make your salad.
- ・Japanese pickled daikon radish, in Japanese, ”Takuwan.”It's a very popular Tukemono in Japan. It tastes sweet and salty and has a little bit sourness from the fermentation. Cut into 1 cm slices. To make it easy to eat and look fancy, cut the surface criss-cross.Place Takuwan cut side up.Slide your knife just before cutting through.Use a sharp thin blade knife to get the best result.
- ・Edamame.Pour in hot water to thow.Soak salted cherry blossom in water to remove saltiness.
- ・Sashimi salmon.If you don't like raw fish, just skip it or choose smoked salmon.Here is how I slice sashimi with my kitchen knife.Slide the knife a few times and cut through.