Summer Festival Chilled Cucumber | Easy and delicious side dish for Summer BBQ !
I miss Summer Festivals!
Today I’m going to be making summer festival chilled cucumber.
It’s been a while since we have lost annual events like summer festivals.
This is my favorite festival food that is refreshing and low in calories, and nutritious.
There are not many good foods for your body that you can find at any festival, but this is an exception.
Japanese summer is hot and humid, and cucumber cools your body temperature and regulates body function.
It’s a handy food, so your kids will love it, and if kids don’t like to eat vegetables, this is a good start.
And it could be a good side dish for a summer barbecue.
“Kombu-cha” for seasoning
The ingredients are so simple.
You will need cucumbers, half a teaspoon of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt, one piece of chili pepper, and Kombu-cha powder.
This is not a fermented drink that is popular in the United States, but this is powdered kombu kelp.
Usually, we dissolve in hot water and enjoy tea time. It has a lot of Umami to it and often uses as seasonings.
You can find Kombu-cha at the Japanese grocery store, but you can replace it with dashi powder or a piece of dried kombu kelp.
Summer Festival Chilled Cucumber
- Knife, Peeler, Ziplock bag
- 4 cucumbers (80~100g)
- ½ tsp Kombucha (powdered Kombu Kelp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 red chili pepper
- Rinse your cucumbers well under running cold water.Cut off both ends.Rub together to eliminate the bitterness.You can see white froth coming out from the cucumber, and this is a bitter component.Rinse one more time to remove the froth and place them on the cutting board.
- Peel the skin and rotate 180° and peel, rotate 90° and peel, rotate 180° and peel, and you have stripe cucumber, so the seasonings going through the cucumbers well.
- Sprinkle half a teaspoon of salt on cucumber, rub together until it becomes flexible.
- Mix half a teaspoon of kombucha powder, 1 teaspoon of sugar and the rest of the salt.Remove the seeds from the red chili pepper.Put your prepared cucumber in a ziplock bag and sprinkle seasonings.Toss in a bag and rub cucumbers from the outside until evenly coat with the seasonings.
- Remove as much air from the Ziploc bag and seal.Put it in a container and put weight on it.Place a smaller container on the cucumber and fill the water.It doesn't have to be really heavy, but it gives pressure evenly on the cucumbers to get the cucumber evenly season.Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.