How to make ★Japanese Curry Rice★カレーライスの作り方（EP8）
Japanese curry rice is one of the most popular home meal.
It is milder and thicker compare to Indian or Thai curry.
We use “box curry roux” for this dish.
You can find it at Japanese supermarket. “Vermont” brand is my go to.
We are so familiar with this taste, Japanese children starts eating this brand.
But “Mild” is not spicy enough for grown-ups, so we choose this.
I made 2 types of curry until my son becomes junior-high school student.
Cook just before adding box-curry, and transfer some of it to a separate pot. And then, add in mild curry to it.
That’s what Japanese moms do!
- 500 g Gyusuji beef (fibrous part of beef; beef tendon）
- 3 medium size onion
- 2~3 medium size russel potato
- 1 medium size carrot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 g ginger
- 1 liter water
- 2~3 cubes chicken soup paste
- 1 box Japanese box-curry
For Gyusuji Preparation
- 1 tbs sake
- Boil Gyusuji (Beef) for 4 to 5 mins to remove scum. Rinse under running water.
- Put in pressure cooker with green part of long green onion, ginger skin, 1 tbs sake and 1 cup of water. Secure the lid, put the weight on. Turn the heat to medium, cook until steam comes up.
- Reduce the heat low, cook 10 mins. Leave it until comes to roon temperature, then chill. Remove the excess fat. ※optional. Set aside until used.
- Mince onion and cook until caramelized.See my caramelized onion video.
- Peel carrot and cut into bite size.
- Peel potato and cut into bite size.
- Mince garlic and ginger.
- Add garlic and ginger to the caramelized onion.Cook until fragrant,Add in carrot and potato.Stir and cook a few minutes until the oil coat the surface of the vegetables.
- Cut Gyusuji into bite size, add into the pot.
- Add in water and Gyusuji cooked water.Bring it to a boil, skim off the scum.Simmer 20 mins until the vegetables are tender.
- Turn the heat off, and add in box-curry.Mix 2 to 3 kinds of box-curry make a complex flavor so please do so if you can.Put the lid on and leave it 5~6 mins.
- Stir until the box-curry dissolve.Turn the heat low, and cook until thicken.
- Serve with steamed rice.